Dungog High School league bows out in cliffhanger

Dungog High School rugby league team with coach Jim Francey, back, Brenton Shiels, Danny Searl, Tom Darlington, Will McInnes, Brett Eyb, Sam Salter, Liam Shiels, Josh Long, Mark Herbert, Rowdy Saunders; front, Will Grey, Cameron Hoddle, Steven Muddle, Eddie Searl, Cody Argent, Blake Fisher and Sam Russell.Dungog High School rugby league team defied the obvious size difference of their Port Stephens rivals to win the opening stage the Buckley Shield.
Nanjing Night Net

The team’s preparation had been hampered by consistent rain but made the best of things by improvising their training sessions; the N Block foyer offers just enough space for tackling practice.

The boys arrived early thanks to some very supportive parents, warmed up effectively and were primed for action.

The team took on Francis Greenway, hot favourites to take out the day. A great set, backed up by a wonderful kick resulted in an opposition error and ultimately a six point lead for Dungog.

The team continued to mount pressure which led to a frustrated Francis Greenway giving away unnecessary penalties.

A mistake free game from the Dungog boys resulted in the team winning 10-0.

The boys’ discipline, determination and skills were evident throughout the day and they eventually defeated Tomaree, Hunter River and Bulahdelah high schools by increasingly larger margins to win the round.

It is clear that having had limited preparation at school that the boys must be in excellent hands playing for the Dungog School Boy’s Rugby League club.

Their technique, professionalism, attitude, fitness levels and positive support from their parents many of whom are weekend coaches, was outstanding.

The second round consisted of the final eight teams in the greater Hunter area.

Dungog met the Maitland round winners Kurri Kurri High and even though they were facing a much bigger opposition were still confident of continuing their run of wins.

Once again the boys got off to an impressive start and piled on the points to defeat Kurri 26-8.

The next game was to prove a much bigger task taking on Muswellbrook High School.

A few pushed passes in the defensive end of the field led to the boys having to valiantly defend their line.

The pressure eventually tolled and Muswellbrook eventually crossed for a four point lead.

The team fought back with a try out wide and then let Muswellbrook back in before some individual brilliance from Brett Eyb who chipped over the top and scored under the post for Joshua Long to equalise with a conversion.

As luck would have it the boys flirted with the sideline and were pushed out handing possession back to Muswellbrook who eventually scored in the dying seconds to end Dungog’s impressive run.

Two days later the team travelled to Maitland to contest the Knights Knockout and unfortunately were hit by injuries and fatigue but valiantly battled on with pride.

Congratulations and thanks to the boys, their parents and to the Dungog School Boys Rugby League Club for their support of Dungog High School. – Tim Francey

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.